Monday, July 21, 2014
Public Health and Public Safety to Meet on Wednesday
The Public Health and Public Safety Committee will be meeting on Wednesday July 23 at 6:00 PM. The agenda includes the below listed items submitted by the Board of Aldermen.
1. 197132 : That the Chief of Police enforce the NO BIKING ON SIDEWALK ordinance citywide, especially in business districts, and attend the next Public Health and Safety Committee meeting to discuss bicycle safety education and enforcement.
2. 197329 : That the Chief of Police order a directed patrol to monitor traffic speeds on Fairfax Street and report the findings and actions to these Aldermen.
3. 197278 : That the Chief of Police order a directed patrol on Benton Road, at various times, to monitor traffic and to issue citations for speeding.
4. 196906 : That the Chief of Police review patrols of the Davis Square area, especially around the community path from the T-stop to the Cambridge line, and consider adding an additional foot patrol officer daily from 4 PM to midnight.
5. 194678 : That the Chief of Police provide this Board with the crime statistics near the East Somerville dog park for twelve months prior to, and after, opening.
6. 197167 : That the Chief Fire Engineer share with this Board, the fire safety plan for the newly opened stores and housing at Assembly Square.
7. 196209 : That the Administration inform this Board of any and all supports available to those who were victims of arson this past summer.
8. 196205 : That the Chief Fire Engineer, the Chief of Police and the chief trauma response individual appear before this Board’s Committee on Public Health and Safety to explore training first responders in the use of Narcan, currently being used by EMTs to save victims of drug overdoses.
9. 195880 : Requesting review and approval of the MAPC's 2013 Update to the 2008 Hazardous Mitigation Plan.
10. 194296 : That this Board requests that the Mayor consider implementing a Community Emergency Response Team, a volunteer citizen support group which is part of FEMA, to assist response efforts during emergencies.
11. 197367 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) provide updates on the problems reported at 38 Illinois Avenue and 39-41 Michigan Avenue, detailing a plan of how these properties will be dealt with.
12. 197222 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) inspect the fire damaged property at 27 Dickinson Street for violations and hazards which negatively impact the neighborhood, and direct the owners to make all required changes.
13. 196910 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) order the immediate removal of the non-compliant exterior light on the new building at 128 Highland Avenue.
14. 196891 : That the Director of the SPCD (ISD) and the City Solicitor appear before this Board to discuss the city’s schedule of fines and how and/or why they have or have not been used fully.
15. 196890 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) appear before this Board to provide an update on complaints, fines and resolutions associated with 100 The Fellsway.
16. 196779 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) contact the owners of 28 and 30 Beacon Street regarding overgrowth and the improper storage of trash and recycling materials, and issue citations for their maintenance of the properties.
17. 196778 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) cite Walgreen's, at 26 Beacon Street, for all health code violations, and direct them to clean the periphery of their property and remove the trash barrel from 28 Beacon Street.
18. 196766 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) and the Director of Public Health explain the policy for food and food donations at charity or nonprofit events.
19. 196363 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) dispatch the NIT Team to inspect 174 Walnut Street for numerous code violations.
20. 195307 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) and the Director of Public Health appear before this Board’s Committee on Public Health and Safety to provide an update on the city-wide rodent problem, including all areas that have been baited, and to present a comprehensive approach to deal with this problem, including the necessary resources and funding.
21. 190058 : That the Director of SPCD Provide This Board with the Latest Revision to the City's Rodent Control Policies before the Next Meeting of the Committee on Public Health and Public Safety, and appear with Appropriate Designees at Said Meeting.
22. 196432 : That the Middlesex County District Attorney update the City on the investigation into the murder of Deanna Cremin, on this, the 19th anniversary of her death.
23. 197435 : That the Director of Communications place a link on the City's web site to allow residents to complain about noise from Logan Airport flights as had been done in the past and also notify residents via social media about that link.
24. 197268 : That the City Clerk request of MassPort an explanation for the increase of air traffic noise recently in West Somerville, and that the Director of Communications add to the website information about the most effective method to complain about such noise.
25. 193093 : That the City Solicitor and the Director of SPCD locate any documents or agreements made by the federal government regarding the initial construction of Route 93 through Somerville.
26. 195082 : That the City's Disability Coordinator appear before the Committee on Public Health and Safety to update the Committee on pending claims on accessibility issues and the status of plans to improve access to City buildings and sidewalks, including the East and West Branch Libraries.
27. 195502 : That the Environmental Programs Manager report to the Ward 6 Alderman and the Committee on Public Health and Safety, the impact of bamboo and whether it is a plant that should be limited due to its invasive nature.
28. 197253 : DPW Commissioner responding to various Board Orders submitted 6/12/14.
29. 197144 : That the Commissioner of Public Works investigate and remedy the low pressure of the water fountains at the ESCS and the strange taste of the water from the school's second floor faucets.
30. 197032 : That this Board urges the Cambridge Health Alliance to reverse its decision to consolidate its Psychiatric Emergency Room with its general Emergency Room.
a. Resolution - CHA
31. 196958 : DPW Commissioner responding to various Board Orders submitted April 24, 2014.
32. 196787 : That the Director of Public Health and Commissioner of Public Works install a sign on the island at Bow Street and Somerville Avenue prohibiting feeding the birds, and that the Director of Public Health distribute a flyer around the neighborhood explaining why birds may not be fed, and that the Police, Animal Control, ISD, and DPW enforce Ordinance 3-3 at this island.
33. 196758 : That the Director of Personnel appear before the Committee on Public Health and Safety to report on the process for, and status of, the search for a new Police Chief.
34. 196613 : DPW Commissioner responding to various Board Orders submitted March 27, 2014.
35. 196458 : That the Commissioner of Public Works repair the broken street lamps at Davis Square Plaza.
36. 196456 : That the Commissioner of Public Works notify the MBTA to repair the broken street lamps at the Davis Sq. Busway.
37. 196433 : That the Chief of Police explain the reasoning for not towing vehicles obstructing a city fire hydrant.
38. 196374 : That the Administration contact the owner of 1060 Broadway and inquire about the reuse of the property.
39. 196373 : That the Director of SPCD (ISD) direct the MBTA to shovel the sidewalk at the bus turn-around by Clarendon Hill Towers.
40. 196353 : That the Administration take steps to address the snow related concerns affecting public safety, especially of school aged children and elderly residents, expressed in the attached letter.
a. Snow email - E Levy
41. 195671 : That the Director of the Women's Commission appear at a future Public Health and Safety Committee meeting to update this Board on the city's domestic violence prevention efforts.
42. 195509 : That the Administration provide an update on air traffic noise over Somerville and continuing efforts to reduce this noise.
43. 195321 : That the Director of Traffic and Parking install an audio tone device for the pedestrian walk signal at Highland and College Avenues for the benefit of visually impaired individuals utilizing that crosswalk.
44. 194984 : That the Committee on Public Health and Safety request that the Executive Director of the Cambridge Health Alliance appear to explain, at a public hearing, its recent proposal to reduce funding for services to Somerville’s youth community.
45. 194939 : That this Board requests that the Cambridge Health Alliance cease, or shelve, its proposed consolidation plan until they convene stakeholders to discuss how best to meet the challenges of an ever changing health care landscape, while meeting the needs of our community.
46. 194408 : That this Board requests that representatives of the Community Assessment of Freeway Exposure and Health study and SPCD's Housing Division appear before the Committee on Public Health and Safety to discuss the recent $675,000 grant from the Kresge Foundation to address health risks to residents from I-93.
47. 193094 : That the Director of Public Health provide the Committee on Public Health and Safety with the CAFÉ study information once it's completed.
48. 192737 : That this Board’s Committee on Public Health and Safety arrange for representatives of Riverside Community Care aka Somerville Mental Health Association, to appear before the Committee to explain where the programs are and how the City can assist them.